60+ years of combined experience with serious injury and third-party work injury cases
Los Angeles Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
Spinal cord injuries are almost always serious. They can result in a wide variety of life-altering health effects, including paralysis and even death. However, if your spinal cord injury was due to the negligence of another, you may be able to secure compensation through a personal injury claim.
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, please contact Greenberg & Ruby, LLP today to further discuss your case. We can help hold any at-fault parties accountable for your injury so you can receive the compensation you deserve.
WHY CHOOSE US?
At Greenberg & Ruby, LLP, we are dedicated to helping those who have been seriously injured due to negligence.
- Our attorneys have combined 60 years experience assisting clients who have suffered spinal cord injuries due to negligence.
- We have a proven record of results, securing more than $250 million in favorable verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients.
- We are committed to providing excellent service to our clients. We maintain routine, consistent communication with our clients, ensuring they receive all the information necessary throughout the litigation process.
- We represent all clients on a contingency fee arrangement. There are no initial legal costs, and you only pay us if we win your case.
TYPES OF SPINAL CORD INJURIES
The spinal cord is divided into five distinct categories: cervical vertebrae, thoracic vertebrae, lumbar vertebrae, sacral vertebrae and coccygeal vertebrae. Spinal damage differs depending upon which area is damaged and whether the cord is bruised, fractured, partially severed or completely severed.
- Cervical Vertebrae: The cervical vertebrae support the neck. Injuries to the cervical vertebrae affect the nerves that control the back of the head, the shoulders, the arms, the hands and the diaphragm muscle. The diaphragm is an important muscle used when breathing; therefore cervical injuries can be severely life-threatening when they limit the ability to breathe.
- Thoracic Vertebrae: The thoracic vertebrae support the upper and middle back. The thoracic nerves control the chest muscles, some of the upper back muscles and parts of the abdomen. Injuries to this area can not only restrict one’s ability to move independently and to breathe but can limit the function of the digestive system, and necessitate permanent medical assistance.
- Lumbar Vertebrae: The lumbar vertebrae support the lower back. The nerves of the lumbar spine control the lower abdomen, the lower back, the buttocks muscles and parts of the legs and genitals. Injuries to this area can lead to paraplegia, loss of bladder and bowel control and sexual dysfunction.
- Sacral Vertebrae: The sacral vertebrae are the five fused vertebrae that form the sacrum at the base of the spine. Injury to this area of the spine can reduce or eliminate the ability to control the thighs, lower legs, feet and external genitals.
- Coccygeal Vertebrae: The Coccygeal vertebrae or tailbone is the area that controls the sensation of the skin on the lower back. Injuries here can be very painful but are infrequently serious.
THE IMPACT OF A SPINAL CORD INJURY
Spinal cord injuries have a profound impact on a person’s life. Healthwise, they can cause many people to become disabled if they are fortunate enough to survive their trauma. A high number of people living with a spinal cord injury will need medical care and personal assistance for the rest of their lives.
Additionally, the expenses related to medical treatment, rehabilitation and disability home remodeling and equipment are gigantic. Partially paralyzed spinal cord injury victims accumulate an average total of $100,000 in expenses in just the first year following their injury, while fully paralyzed victim’s first-year costs can be expected to slightly exceed $400,000.
The costs associated with medical care and assisted living do not take into account the additional expenses: income lost because of time taken off work, or the potential income erased when those injured become disabled and can no longer pursue employment.
Additionally, other ailments can severely impact a person’s quality of life: depression, overburdened personal relationships and other unexpected side effects can severely hamper a spinal injury victim’s chance at a normal life.
HOW CAN AN ATTORNEY HELP?
In such serious circumstances, it is highly recommended to consult an attorney for further assistance. A knowledgeable and accomplished attorney can review your situation and proceed to take legal action in the form of a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit to help you win financial compensation for expenses like your hospitalization, your lifetime medical care, your home caretakers and rehabilitation, any counseling or psychiatric care necessary, lost wages, out-of-pocket medical expenses, out-of-pocket travel expenses to receive medical care, funeral and burial expenses and support for the entire family.
CONTACT US TODAY
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, please contact us immediately to discuss your case. We are committed to providing excellent service to you or your loved one, so that you have the help and support you need in this trying time.
Schedule a free consultation and see how we can help.