60+ years of combined experience with serious injury and third-party work injury cases
Los Angeles Defective Machinery
Construction, warehouse and shipping operations, product manufacturing, as well as many other industries heavily rely on large, powerful machines to fulfill their functions. However, nearly 1,000 annual fatalities can be attributed to machinery, and defective machinery is one of the leading causes.
If you were injured or your loved one was killed in a workplace defective machinery accident, Greenberg & Ruby, LLP will help you obtain the compensation you’re entitled to. Contact us and schedule a free case evaluation today.
WHY CHOOSE OUR DEFECTIVE MACHINERY LAWYER?
- We will evaluate all of your legal options and take decisive steps to secure the financial recovery you deserve.
- Our firm has combined 60 years experience that we are able to put to work for each of our clients.
- Our lawyers dedicate 100 percent of their efforts and resources to fighting for our clients’ rights.
INJURIES CAUSED BY DEFECTIVE MACHINERY
Common injuries experienced by people working with machinery include:
- Moderate or Severe Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Broken bones
- Neck, back, and spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Torn ligaments
- Smoke inhalation
- Vision or hearing loss
- Disfiguring lacerations
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE INJURY?
When you’re injured while using heavy machinery on the job, you will likely be able to file for workers’ compensation benefits. This will cover medical care and part of the income you lose being unable to work. However, if a defect in the equipment is what caused your injuries, you may be able to pursue a third-party liability claim for the defective product, against the designer, manufacturer, installer, or seller. In Los Angeles, injured workers can file a product liability lawsuit if there is a:
The product is inherently unsafe to use for its intended purpose, as there is a flaw in its original blueprint.
An error in the machinery’s assembly causes it to be dangerous when used for its intended purpose.
FAILURE TO WARN
The manufacturer of dangerous machinery must inform of potential risks, for instance, by providing warning labels or safety instructions.
A successful product liability claim can help you obtain compensation for the damages that workers’ compensation benefits do not cover. You may be able to recover, for example, payment for the portion of lost income and medical expenses that aren’t covered. Additionally, you may seek a financial award for your pain and suffering, disability, disfigurement, and loss of quality of life.
COMMON MACHINERY DEFECTS
Just as the type of machinery used in a workplace can greatly vary, as can the ways in which that equipment or machinery may be defective. Some of the common defects that often result in severe injuries include:
- Improper Safety Guards or Shielding: One of the most common ways that a worker can be hurt is by a product that is lacking safety guards or shielding.
- Defective Kill Switch: Dangerous machinery should have what’s known as a kill switch, which is designed to shut down the machine as quickly as possible. A worker can get a limb or another body part caught in a machine if a shut-off switch doesn’t operate properly.
- Defective Electrical Wiring or Grounding: An electrocution can happen if the machine’s wiring is defective or if it isn’t properly grounded.
- Improper or Inadequate Warnings: Workers can become injured if there are no warning labels regarding potential dangers.
SPEAK TO OUR LOS ANGELES DEFECTIVE MACHINERY INJURY LAWYER
If an accident with a defective machine has caused you or a loved one to suffer a serious injury, we can help you seek the compensation you deserve. Contact Greenberg & Ruby, LLP today for a free consultation.